August 12, 2009

Let's do our part in saving lives


I went to send my grandmother for physiotherapy at Kajang Hospital today. While waiting for my granny's name to be called, I saw this brochure at the corner where they displayed all the brochure about all kinds of diseases and I took one.

When I went back to sit with my granny, she asked me what did I took from the brochure stand. I explained to her about organ donation and I would like to pledge as a donor. And with a very worried face, she tells me not to. And she said that my mom would not like it either. One of the reason she disliked it was because she thought it is forbidden for a Muslim to do so. I told her that Islam endorse organ donation. Most religion endorse it. I also explained to her that if so happens that a young, healthy person like me were to die, there is nothing wrong in doing further good for those who are still living. I may save up to 9 lives. Wouldn't that be something that Islam would encourage followers to do? It is very disappointing to know that some conservative Malays in Malaysia are still not exposed to these kind of awareness.

When I showed the brochure to my parents, they were very understanding. I'm so lucky to have educated parents. Mama said OK. But Papa suggested me to register as a donor when I start my medical practice. He said that I could set up a campaign, and then register as a donor as to set an example for the rest. Well, I don't really see the difference in registering now or later, because it is still the same thing. I pledge to donate my organs.

0 comments: