August 4, 2009

Amy The Ignorant


They say ignorance is bliss, but not in this situation. When my aunt handed me two RM50 notes (the brand new ones), I was like "Eh? Duit ape ni??" and it took me a few seconds to respond, "Oh, ni duit baru ke? Bile duit ni keluar?"

Today, I realized that I am an ignorant Malaysian. How could I not know my own government released new banknotes in December 2008? I bet if my aunt did not gave me that new banknotes, and next year when I come back to Malaysia again, I'll be shock if the cashier hands me my change with a note I did not recognize. I will be embarrassing myself in public.

What's worse is, if anyone ask me about the details of Malaysian political situations, I wouldn't know what to answer. Most probably I'll just say that Malaysia is still a democratic country with Sultans still having some power.

I'm 22 years-old. And I have never voted before!! Heck, I'm not even registered as a voter! How can I be so ignorant?? Yeah, I'm studying in Russia, but there are ways for overseas students to vote when the election comes, and I admit it, I was just too lazy to bothered.

Gosh, I have to change. I want to be a better Malaysian, not an ignorant one. I have to read the newspaper more. I have to read the main paper first before looking at the comics. When I'm in Russia, I have to at least read the online news once in a while.

If all young Malaysians are like me, I'm afraid that there will no longer be a Malaysia in the long future.

1 comments:

[Nard] said...

amy. you're not alone. Aku pun baru tahu pasal the new rm 50 notes past few weeks. Hahaha...see, aku duduk malaysia pun baru tahu about it..hahaa
first aku dpt, aku rase mcm duit monopoly..hahaha.