November 29, 2009

I'm just a 3rd year student

Just wanna make things clear to others.
I'm a 3rd year medical student!

It's kinda annoying when some people expect medical students to know every medical stuff. And what's worst, they'll rant out their symptoms and expects us to diagnose what they have and kept asking for our opinions.
Here's a simple conversation for those who is still clueless about what I'm trying to say here.

Friend : I'm itching all over. There are red patches. What do you think I have???
Me : I don't know. How am I supposed to know.
Friends : Oh, aren't you a medical student? I'm sure you can think of something.
Me : Seriously, I don't know. It could be an allergic reaction. Go see a doctor and do a skin allergy test.
(thinking to myself) You're lazy to wash, that's why you itching all over HAHAHAHA!
Friend : I did. And the doctor said it's not allergy. The whole family has it.
Me : Uhhh...... *sigh* Seriously, I don't know what you have. If the whole family has it. Then it could be an environmental cause. Could be the water you all use to clean. OK stop asking me questions I most probably don't have any answers to.

When I told this story to my classmates, they all laughed and said they had experienced similar situations.

Oh, for heaven's sake. Please understand, we are not doctors. We haven't even start our clinical year yet. We don't know anything!!

OK fine. To say we don't know anything is obviously a lie. I mean, if you're telling that you have some disease (God, bless you)... then maybe we might know what you're talking about.
Let's say you mention that you have thromboembolism. Then I know you might die anytime soon..if it's obstructive and you still there in front of the computer and not at the hospital.....

If you need any medical opinions. Go see a doctor.
Because our only opinions would be : Please make a visit to a doctor.

1 comments:

фарина захари said...

Haha, yeah..i think every med student will at least once experience that.
u gonna love next year, once u stepped into medical years.

My 1st clinical cycle was neuro, and after learning some stuff, i see people on the street with symptoms, and start diagnosing them! Haha.