June 3, 2009

Caffeine and Me


Here I am having a short break from endless studying while sipping my 3rd dose of coffee since morning when my mind started to wander off. What happens to the caffeine after consumption? What it does to my body? So where else to look for answers other then wikipedia (one of my favourite sites for all kinds of informations).

There's a whole mechanism of actions occurring in our body when we consume caffeine. Which is too long to be explain. But basically caffeine converts to Paraxanthine, Theobromine, and Theophyline. Which I don't know what the heck are all those. I've only heard of paraxanthine which causes lipolysis (degradation of fat); and according what it said in wikipedia, the other two causes vasodilation and relaxation of smooth muscles. But what strikes me for sure is that the molecular structure of caffiene as well as it's other derivatives looks so similar like adenine.

So as I read on, it said that caffeine having same molecule structure as adenosine and thus becomes a competative inhibitor for adenosine receptors on cell membrane surface. So how does this increase alertness? Well adenosine is an inhibitory neurotransmitter, so it makes us sleepy right? So I guess when caffeine attach to adenosine receptors instead of adenosine, it does not activates it. Something like dis-inhibiting the action of adenosine. And therefore we don't fall asleep.

And then there was something about caffeine stimulates the increase of cAMP.. yada yada yada..... to much to read. Well to those who had learned biochemistry, you would understand right... but if you have forgotten, let me give you a hint : adenylate cyclase..activation of protein kinase A..phosphorylation of other protein kinases.. ring a bell?? hahaha....

However we love coffee and tea, too much of caffeine is bad for the body. Overdose of it in a long period of time can cause caffeinism. It's something to do with being dependent to caffeine. Which in turn will cause some physical and mental disturbances : insomnia, headaches, nervousness, muscle twittching, anxiety and some others.
Also because caffeine stimulates more HCL production in the stomach, it causes paptic ulsers and gastroesophageal reflux disease (which I don't know what the heck is that, haven't learn about it yet).

So I urge to all others, and of course myself to drink coffee in moderate amount. It's all about moderation peeps....
MODERATION



Now let's enjoy the aroma of the magical beans that we love.

0 comments: