September 18, 2009

What makes us independent

I just came back from getting my parcel from the post office. The parcels that were sent by sea don't have the 'privilege' to be sent at our door steps. So yeah, we have to go and get it ourselves.

Anyway, I went alone. Friends were busy to accompany me. But it's fine, since the post office is not that far away from my hostel. It takes around 10-15 minutes of walking. I could have taken a tram, but I think I needed the walk. I'm growing sideways now. hahaha... So I walked alone, deal with the post office people alone (keep in mind that they don't know any English), took a cab back alone..... A year ago, I don't think I could do all this on my own. I've always needed help, and back in Malaysia, I was always dependent on family and friends. Being in another country far from home, with friends who have their own pack schedules, made me somewhat independent. I even travel to class alone, even though I have a classmate that lives 2 doors away from me. We just prefer go to class on our own. I'm very comfortable walking alone now. I guess when you don't have anyone to really count on, you'll just adapt to it and be independent. I remembered I used to cry alot in my 1st year, all because I had to do things on my own. But all through out 2nd year until now, everything was fine. Friends too have been great to me. Though my Russian still sucks, but I can survive.

Humans are very capable of adapting. One of the greatest survival skills known to mankind. I've survived Russia, I think I can survive as a doctor.

0 comments: