March 29, 2010

Moscow Chaos

Just when I thought it was going to be a normal busy Monday, a chaotic situation hits Moscow. And just like the other Muscovites rushing to their classes or work places, I was rushing to class. I was already a bit late. But when I reached Baravidskaya, the metro station which everybody frequents since it is a changing line, the metro was closed. And many other metro users are piling up by the stairs leading to the other line (red line). Lucky me, I met fellow classmates there. I would be in a huge panic if I was alone.

Not knowing what had actually happened, the only thing in our minds was to find another way to get to class. The guards suggested that everybody uses Park Kultury metro to get to our destinations or to exit the metro system. But when I reached Serpuhovskaya(Brownline), it was a chaos as well. I was already panicking when I called my friends to inform that I might be late. And that was when I learned that there was a bombing in Lubianka's metro, just 2 metro stations away from where I was before. And when the guards suggested that we go to Park Kultury, nobody knew that there was going to be a 2nd bombing in Park Kultury station.

When my friends and I reached Park Kultury, we were ushered to the exit, where there were bomb squads, police and ambulances and fire-engines going around. Everybody that exited the metro was checked by the police using the batons that made sounds (I don't know what it's called, but you get what I mean...). We met other Malaysians outside the metro. And that was when we were told that there was a 2nd bombing just 30minutes ago in that metro station!! Boy, I was freaked out.

My friends and I went to walk down the street away from the scene. It's best to get as far as possible from places where an attack had happened. And also we were trying to think of the safest way to get home or to get to our university's main building or anywhere safe. The street was congested, no cars were allowed to pass..... we had no where to go. Tried calling other friends, hoping that they are safe, as well as to ask around for a way back home. But unfortunately, the network was very limited. Only when we were far enough from the scene, our cell phones worked.

So we went into a cafe and discussed there. Of course I had to buy something in order for us to sit there. And after finishing my breakfast set, the street had cleared up, there were less congestions. So we started finding our way out of the situation. And we managed to stop a cab. Thank Allah for saving us. The driver is a Muslim from Uzbekistan who drove us home safely with just minimal charges.

This is one scary experience. Alhamdullillah, God did not put us in a situation which could be worse than this.


Escalator leading to Park Kultury brown line

Chaos in Park Kultury Metro Station.
All metro stations was closed down right after the 2nd explosion.



From what was reported, looks like it could be the works of Muslim terrorist again, like the ones happened on the train from Moscow to St.Petersburg. Oh Lord.... I just don't understand. They are fighting for their rights by killing innocent civilians?





2 comments:

::smaku:: said...

thank god youre alright.

pedas said...

hi smakk!!