December 11, 2009

When a child grows up too fast

I recently meet a girl online. She's a fan of Korean entertainment too. She was talking about how SNSD girls being racist and she said that she hates SNSD. Apparently, some members of SNSD did made a few 'racist' remarks about the Chinese. The girl, whom I meet online is a Bruneian Chinese. So I guess that explains her hatred towards that particular Korean group.

I didn't know the girl's age at first. If I knew it before hand, I wouldn't have engaged her in a conversation. But later on, I found out her age. She is 12 years old!! I was really shocked when she told me her age. I felt disturbed..... Not because I was talking to a kid. Not because she hates SNSD........ But because she's a kid with such negativity.

How could a child who still lives under the safe haven of her parents knows about racism, even discusses openly about it? How could a child her age have been exposed to that kind of negativity? How could a child have such hatred in her heart? And what's more disturbing is that, she might have been exposed to worse negativity. I know the fact that this world that we live in is indeed a cruel world. But for a child to be exposed to that kind of things is just frightening.

I remembered when I was 12, I was still playing around with friends from different racial backgrounds. We played happily together, never even knew the word 'racism'.

It's scary how kids nowadays grows up TOO fast. It makes me wonder. Who's fault could it be?

I just hope we can make the world a better place for children and try to keep them safe from the world's cruelty as long as we possibaly can.

0 comments: