February 22, 2010

What differ Russians from the rest

After waiting in line for quite some time, I finally got my fillet-o-fish and fries..... without my balance. The McD girl went on taking orders from the next customer.

Me: My balance??
McD girl: I didn't give it to you?
Me: No. (while shaking my head)
McD: (looking pissed off) Wait. I don't have small change.

I don't even know why she was looking so pissed. So I waited. And she asked her manager to give her small change, and attended to another two customers. It was fine that she forgotten to give me back my balance. Since there was so many people in line, and my fillet-o-fish took quite sometime to be ready. She must have forgotten about my balance when she went to attend to other people. But NOT once did she apologize, or even look guilty. It almost seemed like it was my fault and not hers.

My balance was just 24rubbles, which I couldn't really care much whether if I get it back. And because it took sometime, I was actually ready to leave. But looking at the girl's arrogant face, I changed my mind, and waited for my balance. I didn't care if it took long. All I know is that I didn't want to admit defeat or anything.

And when she finally gave me my balance, she gave it with an arrogant face. What a bitch!
But what more can I do. It's like an unwritten rule in Russia, where you can't be angry even if you have the right to be because you are a foreigner. My encounter today is just a mild case of Russians being the way they are. We were treated worse before.

This is what differs Russians from the rest of the Europeans. Other Europeans treats foreigners with respect and hospitality. But not most Russians. Nice Russians are 'scarce'.

5 comments:

Arifah Majid said...

wow...this is something new to me. many thanks for sharing =). all the best to you =)

ridhwanz said...

hey arifah! it's surprising that i meet u here =)

well, u always comparing badly the malaysian culture to nz's. We're experiencing bout the same thing, only it's reversed..

If you thing malaysians are rude, here are even worse..

and fyi, despite all that, i'm enjoying russia! life must still go on ;)

Arifah Majid said...

hahahahaha...i did compare our fellow Malaysians "Badly" to the Kiwis? well not entirely true though Ridhwanul Hanif. at first, it was quite hard for me to acclimatize to the surroundings. It has been about 3 months now. and i'm doing A+ alright in Malaysia (well at least trying to hahahaha). but yes, i do feel that it would be much better if i could be there in (NZ) again. and I'm very certain that u'll miss Moscow once u're back in Malaysia for good in the near future. Same goes to you dear writer (Amy Fareena);).

All the best future doctors =')

Amy Fareena said...

hahaha... oh well, maybe i will miss moscow once i graduated. being here did taught me lots of lesson. i became independent and strong. and i used to complain a lot. i could be so annoying at times. but now, whenever i'm back home for summer, i complain less. everybody noticed the change in me.

Anonymous said...

wow thats scary....