May 29, 2009

Amy Fareena : My Name and It's Meaning

When I was born, my parents chose a great name for me. Amy Fareena was the name given to me. Doesn't my name sounds nice? I think it sounds really beautiful.
Back when I was in primary school, I didn't like my name just because I was told by some religious studies teacher that my name does not have any meaning in Arabic, and therefore it does not have any meaning Islam. I didn't have a common Muslim name such as 'Nur' or 'Siti' like my other friends. But as I grew up to become a teenager, I started to have thoughts of my own. So I decided to search the meaning and origin of my name. I looked in several sites for this. And the result :

Amy :
It is of Old French and Latin origin, and its meaning is "beloved".
Anglicised form of the Old French Amee
, meaning "beloved", which originated as a nickname from the Latin Amata, from "amare", meaning "to love".

Fareena :
Fareena is a variant of Farina (Latin origin) which means "flour"

Yes, the meaning of Fareena is a bit funny. I myself think so. So I continued the search for any other meanings. Then I found in a few other sites. And it said that Fareena means happiness in Persian language.

I'm glad that my parents gave me a beautiful name. It doesn't matter what others might say about me not having an Islamic name. I love my name and it's origin, as well as it's meaning. And that's all that matters.






2 comments:

nurhuda said...

maybe ur ustazah was wrong..it is not a muslim name, but those are arabic names. so, as long as ur name has good meaning behind it, it should be fine. Allah knows everything, regardless it is spanish, latin or persian. Great research!!

Anonymous said...

My name is Fareena too. It may not mean anything in Arabic but I still love it:*